The Art Collection
The GFH Art Collection holds thousands of one-of-a-kind drawings, oil paintings and sculptures. The collection, one of the most important of its kind, was established in the 1950s. The intention of museum founders’ was to commemorate Jewish artists who perished in the Holocaust and to preserve testimonies in drawings by those few artists who survived.
Of the artworks in the Collection made in the years before the mass exterminations, the majority are from the ghettos, with fewer from the peak years of the extermination. Others were made immediately following the liberation, as reportage after the fact. Some works present valuable testimony of the highest degree. These are the eyewitness testimonies created by survivors of the camps and those who observed the exterminations, drawings made at the time of the events (1941–1945) or directly afterwards (1945–1950).